About Me

My photo
My name's Jen. This is the place where I share my love of art with the world. Please stay a while, and leave a comment if you wish :)

Monday 25 June 2012

The Strawberry Social




My youngest daughter, Ellen, was lucky enough to get an awesome summer job this year working at The Champlain Trail Museum in our hometown, Pembroke, Ontario. This past Saturday they held their annual Strawberry Social, which is one of the museum's big fund raising events. Ellen is studying Public Relations, so being able to help with events like this is great experience. We are very thankful to the museum for giving Ellen this opportunity, thank you Angela!!
The museum asked me if I would be willing to do a basket weaving demonstration during the event, and of course I was delighted to take part!  They had several other artisans demonstrating arts and crafts that are part of our Canadian history. I particularly admired the hand carved wooden toys and games. I stood and watched the children play with them for several minutes and was amazed by how engrossed they were. No bells, whistles or electricity and yet the children were delighted and entertained. Gave me food for thought, maybe simple is better sometimes! Anyhow, I had a great day, sold a few baskets and got to talk for hours about something that I love to do! Remember to stop in and check out the museum when you find yourself in the area, it's worth the visit!


















No comments:

Post a Comment